The first Gargyle x United Bamboo SMASH! Tennis Champion was crowned on Saturday June 5th after 6 hours of play in sweltering summer conditions at the East River courts in NYC’s Lower East Side. 16 mixed doubles teams started the day with their eyes on the prize, with Boris & Venus, Pokiebambam/Thuy, Ale-xx, and Café Select advancing to the semis. Boris & Venus and Pokiebambam/Thuy moved on from there to face off in a heavyweight final in humid, 90+ degree conditions that tested their endurance and grit as much as their serves and volleys, with Boris & Venus digging deep for a 6-4 win.
Congrats to all of the semi-finalists, who played great and walked away with prizes from Gargyle and United Bamboo. Congrats also to Cafe Select for winning the Best Dressed medals! Ultimately Boris & Venus (Jesper & Zani) walked away with what mattered most: the SMASH! Tennis Championship trophy and some oversized novelty checks.
We’d like to thank everyone who made this event happen:
- All the participants, friends, and spectators for their amazing energy
- Our sponsors Vita Coco, Orbit Gum, and Powerade
- An Choi for hosting everyone afterwards and supporting
- Thomas Murphy for contributing his photographic talents
- Evan Leong for his epic video magic. Check it out here!
- Martin Glenn for his fantasic video footage below
- New York City Department of Parks and Recreation
We got such great feedback and had so much fun we’re already planning our next SMASH! Tennis Challenge for the fall. Stay in touch with Gargyle on our Facebook Fan Page or our email list for the details. Until then we’ll see you on the courts!
Gargyle & United Bamboo